Building on Dutch agency MVRDV’s newest extremely idiosyncratic hometown fee, Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen, has been accomplished on the grounds of OMA‘s Museumpark in Rotterdam. The bowl-shaped, mirrored construction topped with a verdant rooftop terrace will function the brand new storage facility for Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, a big artwork museum established in 1849 with a give attention to the work of Dutch artists.
Over the subsequent yr, over 151,000 objects from the museum’s assortment shall be moved into the brand new facility; when the painstaking transition is full, the constructing will open to the general public as the primary totally publicly-accessible artwork depot on the earth. From September 25–27, nonetheless, Rotterdam residents can have an opportunity to tour the empty house earlier than the epic relocation course of begins.
“This can be a working constructing during which an important consideration is what the constructing can do: to take care of our assortment whereas nonetheless being open to the general public,” mentioned Sjarel Ex and Ina Klaassen, co-directors of Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, in an announcement. “Subsequent yr the whole assortment of Boijmans Van Beuningen will as soon as once more be seen on one spot for the primary time since 1935. We’re satisfied that making the gathering accessible exhibits how a lot we care and the way effectively we handle it. That is one thing that the inhabitants of Rotterdam shall be happy with; one thing that they need to see with their very own eyes, as a result of they partly personal this huge inventive treasure.”
As soon as open to the general public, Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen will even function a restaurant positioned inside a birch tree-studded “rooftop forest” accessible through specific elevator that may supply sweeping views of Rotterdam from 115 toes above Museumpark. Inside, the museum’s huge and extremely numerous assortment shall be on full show all through the ability, from the ground-floor foyer all the way in which as much as the seventh-story rooftop restaurant.
As a press assertion explains, the open nature of the depot’s exhibition rooms and curators’ studios will present guests with a “distinctive behind-the-scenes expertise and the possibility to learn the way a world-renowned museum maintains and cares for its artwork assortment.” As for the storage areas that comprise a bulk of the 161,458-square-foot constructing, they are going to be divided into 5 totally different local weather zones with the artwork itself being organized in accordance to its climatic necessities in lieu of motion or period. Guests will be capable to tour the depot independently or with a information.
Regardless of the “daring design”—to cite MVRDV founding associate Winy Maas—of Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen, the energy-efficient constructing, clad in 1,664 mirrored panels, is meant to meld into its leafy setting with its lucent facade “carrying the trimmings of no matter surrounds it.” Per the museum, the constructing’s reflective nature permits it to grow to be “totally built-in into its environment” because it “enlivens its environment whereas establishing robust relationships with the park and the neighboring buildings.”
The museum itself is at present present process an in depth renovation and rehabilitation with choose objects from its immense assortment—“extremely revered world wide and is exclusive throughout the Netherlands” per the museum—at present on mortgage to Dutch faculties in addition to different museums within the Netherlands and additional afield. With the brand new storage facility now full, these objects will start returning again to Rotterdam for storage at Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen. With Delft-based Mecanoo serving because the renovation architect, the refreshed and refurbished museum is anticipated to reopen in 2026.
The museum’s “unsafe, overfull, and outdated” basement space had long-served because the depot for its assortment though 5 totally different off-site storage services have been used in recent times because the integrity of the constructing started to return into query. When tasked with consolidating its assortment from a number of totally different exterior areas to a single bigger one, the museum opted for the publicly accessible, semi-curated hybrid choice adjoining to the museum as an alternative of the usual alternative: a cavernous facility positioned in a safe and distant industrial park. As famous by Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen, most main artwork museums like itself solely show six to 10 % of their collections in public galleries whereas the remaining 90 percent-plus of their holdings keep hidden away in storage.
With its design headed by MVRDV together with an extended checklist of collaborators, Depot Boijmans Van Beunigen was realized as a joint effort between Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, the Municipality of Rotterdam, and the De Verre Bergen basis.